For the second weekend this month, more than sixty people were shot in Chicago. Eight died as a result, including two missing teen boys. It marked the second most violent weekend this year for the city with the strictest gun laws in the nation.
In one case where a 15 year-old allegedly shot himself in the head while fleeing, the family claims it was not suicide but murder by police.
Meanwhile, police are taking proactive measures, including shutting down more than 68 gatherings over the weekend for unspecified illegal activity.
Supt. Eddie Johnson will brief reporters on case progress & weekend violence this morning at 1030 @ CPD HQ. 3 people of interest have been taken into custody thus far: 68 gatherings were shut down for illegal activity; 83 guns seized & 29 arrested on gun charges since Friday. pic.twitter.com/wqoTvBHSmp
— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) August 20, 2018
More from CBS Chicago:
The weekend’s bloodshed also included at least two mass shootings.
Five people were wounded in a shooting after a softball game Sunday night in the South Shore neighborhood. Police said someone in a black van opened fire near 75th and Dante shortly before 11 p.m., striking four men and a woman.
A 30-year-old man shot in the ankle, a 40-year-old woman shot in the calf, a 42-year-old man shot in the arm, and an adult male shot in the chest all were being treated at the University of Chicago trauma center. The man shot in the chest was in serious condition, the other three were not seriously hurt. A 26-year-old man who was shot in the leg was stabilized at Jackson Park Hospital & Medical Center.
The other mass shooting happened Friday night in the Englewood neighborhood. Police said six of the people were out in front of a home near 65th and Marshfield, enjoying a summer evening, when they heard gunfire and realized they had been shot. The victims included a 3-year-old boy. A seventh person was struck by a stray bullet in her back yard.