OpsLens

Bill comes due: U.S. trade deal with Canada turns to dust and Trump tariffs hit * WorldNetDaily * by Bob Unruh

Source link

President Donald Trump meets with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney in the Oval Office, Tuesday, May 6, 2025

The bill is coming due.

A proposed trade deal between the United States and its northern neighbor, Canada, has turned into dust, allowing the 50% tariffs planned by the administration of President Donald Trump to take effect.

Canada now is facing the tariff on some $28 billion worth of Canadian products imported into the U.S.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney promised to match that.

A statement from the office of the U.S. Trade Representative said, “Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week. Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days.

“In addition, Canada is continuing to maintain its prolonged retaliation against the United States, including, among other things, flat-out prohibitions on certain American goods and services. For decades, Canada has enjoyed the most favorable access to the U.S. market of any country. And from the beginning of President Trump’s trade program, Canada has continued to enjoy the best treatment in the world, even after – like China – retaliating against the United States.”

The statement continued, “This week, the United States agreed to provide even better treatment to Canada, offering significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos, and lumber. The U.S. offer was also forward looking, and included a historic economic and national security partnership to cooperate on export controls, combat transshipment, enhance digital trade, and align certain external tariffs. The offer would have led to supply chain coordination on aerospace, complementary actions to address unfair trade practices, critical minerals cooperation, increased enforcement against imports produced with forced labor, and the announcement of formal U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) negotiations.

“This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest growing economy in the G7.”

A report at the Washington Examiner just days ago said the outlook had been positive.

Carney claimed, in a statement, “I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa. They have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute. However, last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”

He failed to define those “changes.”

The statement from U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer confirmed Canada walked away “under the same terms that were agreed upon earlier in the week.”

The 50% U.S. tariffs will affect Canadian products ranging from hockey sticks to automobiles to dairy and alcohol, the Examiner documented.

 

Bob Unruh

Bob Unruh joined WND in 2006 after nearly three decades with the Associated Press, as well as several Upper Midwest newspapers, where he covered everything from legislative battles and sports to tornadoes and homicidal survivalists. He is currently a news editor for the WND News Center, and also a photographer whose scenic work has been used commercially. Read more of Bob Unruh’s articles here.